The meeting is Tuesday, June 26, 6 p.m. in DeKalb council chambers.
The joint meeting is a signal that the work of the Safe/Quality Housing Task Force is almost done and that proposals will come up for votes at council soon.
- Three different mandatory inspection ordinances
- Licensing and fee requirements for rental housing
- A new Vacant Housing ordinance with possible $500 fees
- Increased registration requirements and fees for rental housing
- A Disorderly House ordinance
I’ve attended several Task Force meetings. In my view, this whole exercise was started as another attempt by administrators to latch onto the teats of a new cash cow, aka DeKalb landlords. However, to my utter delight I have become a fan of the Task Force. This is no puppet committee.
Meanwhile, the cow in the form of DARA obviously is going to kick and kick hard; but please do not make the mistake of believing these ordinance proposals only affect landlords. Come for the potential fireworks but stay for a conversation that ultimately will involve all of us.